Varian leading a writing workshop at the Island School in Hong Kong.
Varian loves talking to kids, teens and adults about reading and writing, and about his passion for children’s and young adult literature. He is available for school and library visits, workshops, panels, and keynote addresses, with each presentation tailored to fit the needs of the audience.
If you are interested in booking Varian for an event, please contact him for programming, rates and availability.
What others say:
"Varian was extremely popular with both students and teachers in schools during his time at the Hong Kong International Young Readers Festival. Varian’s warmth and humor meant that he quickly established a rapport with students, and had them hanging on to every single word. His passion for writing and reading was invaluable and inspiring. Feedback from schools was overwhelmingly positive. We look forward to welcoming Varian back to Hong Kong in future years."
– Phillipa Milne, Programme Manager, Hong Kong International Literary Festival
"My school district loved Varian Johnson! He visited 10 junior high schools in one week as a part of our Read It Forward program. Students read The Great Greene Heist prior to his visit, so they were familiar with his work and were excited to meet him in person. He motivated our students to follow their passions and set goals. We also loved his humor and laughter! He is welcomed back anytime."
– Lynette Alidon, Library Media Specialist, Katy Independent School District, Katy, Texas
"Varian is not your ordinary writer. Not many folks steeped in the arts of language also hold degrees in engineering. Working with aspiring writers, Varian shares his own journey as a writer and tells how the twists and turns of life choices might be the very fodder for the most enticing storytelling. If you want a presenter who prepares thoughtfully, thinks creatively and honors and entertains writers at all stages of development, call Varian."
– Sharon O’Neal, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Texas State University
A few things to keep in mind:
- Varian’s typical full-day visit includes up to three (3) 45-to-60 minute presentations per day, along with lunch with a small group of students if the school would like to organize it. (Depending on the schedule, Varian may be able to schedule a forth visit per day.) He is happy to share visits between schools.
- Varian’s school presentations are best suited for upper-elementary through high school. Much of Varian’s presentation centers on his life as an engineer and an author. He also teaches writing workshops for all ages (including adults and other writers).
- Varian is happy to develop keynote addresses for any audience. He has recently given keynote speeches at the 2015 National SCBWI Conference, Spalding University MFA residency, and 2016 Texas Council of Teachers of English Language Arts Conference.
- If you have any questions concerning his rates and workshop presentations, please ask. Depending on Varian’s schedule, some fees are negotiable.
- Varian has found that the most rewarding school visits are those in which the students are familiar with his work. He highly suggests that teachers and librarians make copies of his novels or short stories available to students prior to the presentation.